A Note From the Mary Library Regarding Book Checkout
Students have been busy getting to know their way around the library/media center, learning basic library operations and checking out books. Even though we live in the 21st century where technology plays a prominent role in our daily lives, it has been my experience that our students enjoy the printed word and look forward to being able to check out books. Before checking out books for the first time we discussed the importance of choosing the right book. Students are encouraged to find books that are "A Good Fit." Three items are considered. Students are taught to ask themselves: "Do I like it?" (Is it something that interests me?) "Does it fit?" (It's not too easy and it's not too hard) "Does it help me?" (It's the right book for what I want to do). Library book choices should be fun to read and engage students to continue to enjoy reading. Holy Spirit families do a wonderful job promoting literacy and teaching their children to value books. It has always been a pleasure to partner with families in introducing the joy of reading.
Library Check Out Days
- Kindergarten: Mondays, 1 Book For 1 Week at a Time
- 1st Grade: Thursdays, 2 Books For 1 Week at a Time
- 2nd (Hiemenz): Tuesdays, 2 Books For 1 Week at a Time
- 2nd (Schmid): Wednesdays, 2 Books For 1 Week at a Time
- 3rd( Kimlinger): Wednesday, 2 Books For 2 Weeks at a Time
- 3rd (Van Hoeck): Thursdays, 2 Books For 2 Weeks at a Time
- 4th Grade: Wednesday, 2 Books For 2 Weeks at a Time
- 5th Grade: Thursday, 2 Books For 2 Weeks at a Time
- Middle School: Any Day, 2 Books For 2 Weeks at a Time
There are no fines for overdue books. However, students with overdue books will not be able to check out more until their late books are returned. Happy Reading!