Holy Spirit is proud to call itself a Catholic school in which faith is a key part of instruction and the school environment. Not only do we provide sacrament preparation, but we also incorporate prayer and worship into school activities. .
Holy Spirit provides immediate preparation for the sacrament of First Penance and First Eucharist in the second grade. Preparation for the sacrament of Confirmation takes place in eighth grade. As primary formers of their children in faith, parents are essential in this formational process.
Prayer and Worship
Prayer is an important element throughout our school day. Through prayer, we strive to raise the conscious awareness among our students of God's presence within themselves, each other, and the entire school environment. Examples include:
- Weekly Mass
- Monday morning all-school gathering
- Morning prayer during announcements
- Morning classroom prayer
- Prayer before lunch
- Prayer services for special occasions
- Stations of the Coss during Lent
Students also celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation twice during the school year - during the seasons of Advent and Lent.
Catholic Social Teaching
Catholic Social Teaching is an integral dimension of the educational process that students experience at Holy Spirit. Our goal is to challenge our students and the entire school community to live in a socially responsible manner. Teachers regularly bring Jesus' world view into instruction by asking the questions, "What does Jesus tell us about this? What does Scripture tell us to do?
Some of our social justice projects include:
- Learning about world hunger issues and raising money for Feed My Starving Children.
- Learning about the scarcity of water in Africa and raising money to help a village improve their water supply and water quality.
- Learning about life in Central and South America and raising money to support the missionary efforts in our alumnus, Annemarie Barrett in Cochebamba, Bolivia.
- Learning about education for children across the world and raising money for the Kibera Girls Soccer Academy.
- Bringing our focus closer to home, we support Sarah's Oasis, a residence for women from around the world who are escaping war and abuse. These women are going to school, working, and beginning a new life in the Twin Cities.