How do we get started?
Call the parish office, (651) 698-3353. All of the following must apply before a tentative date can be set:
- Either the bride, groom or one of their parents must be an active, registered Holy Spirit parishioner for at least 6 months before the wedding date may be set or one of the couple must be living within the parish boundaries.
- If either person has been previously married and has not received an annulment, no wedding date can be set. An annulment decree must be obtained before any wedding preparation can begin. The Church promotes and protects the sanctity of all marriages. Therefore, Holy Spirit asks that couples maintain separate residences prior to marriage.
- If all of the above requirements apply, please call the parish office to check the wedding date with the priest and parish calendars. Weddings will not be scheduled until we are within twelve months of the wedding date.
When are weddings scheduled?
Both Friday and Saturday weddings are available. Saturday weddings begin at 1:30 p.m. with rehearsal at 5:30 p.m. the night before. Friday weddings typically begin around 5:30 p.m. with rehearsal at 5:30 p.m. the night before.
Weddings will not be scheduled during Advent, Lent, Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation.
Do we have to have a full Mass? When is a wedding celebrated within a Mass?
When two active Catholics marry, it is usually celebrated with Mass. When a Catholic and a non-Catholic marry the ceremony is usually without Mass.
Why do we have to go through marriage preparation?
The Church requires the couple to freely enter into marriage, to commit themselves for life, and to be open to life (children). In order to do this honestly, you need a chance to freely and openly discuss your relationship.
How long does the marriage preparation process take?
That depends on the couple. It takes a minimum of six months to give the proper time and energy to the process.
What will you ask us to do?
The marriage preparation process at Holy Spirit involves several steps:
- Initial interview with priest.
- Completion of the FOCCUS inventory.
- Participation in the pre-marriage retreat.
- Meeting with liturgist.
- Meeting with wedding coordinator.
How much does it cost to celebrate a wedding at Holy Spirit?
We do not charge to celebrate sacraments, however, we do request a fee of $1,000 to cover operational expenses, a portion of the marriage preparation materials, results of the FOCCUS inventory, and a stipend for the wedding facilitator, accompanist, and cantor.