In September 1936, Father George Keefe began his pastorate of Holy Spirit. Masses were celebrated in the auditorium of Cretin High School. In April 1937, Father Keefe announced a building site for a combination church and school at the southwest corner of Saint Paul’s Randolph Avenue and Albert Street.
The property was acquired from an orphanage operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph for $8,500, plus improvement assessments. Plans for the new structure called for a combination church and school facilities. The church auditorium was to seat 700 persons, and the school would have eight classrooms. Members of the parish were asked to pledge an increase of $1 monthly on their regular Sunday offerings to meet the financial burden.
Excavation of the new building began and proceeded quickly, and in September 1937, Holy Spirit School officially opened, followed by a dedication of both the church and school in October. Heavy rain did not discourage the parishioners, who taxed the capacity of the new structure to attend the Dedicatory Solemn High Mass, the afternoon open house, and the Solemn Benediction. That original structure housed both the school and parish until 1949, when the church moved across the street.
Under the leadership of Fr. Michael Papesh, Holy Spirit Church embarked on an initiative for improving and expanding the parish facilities, including providing elevator access in the church and school, bringing all school programs under one roof, and providing adequate space for physical education, parish meetings, ministry staff collaboration, and parish-wide gatherings.
Holy Spirit Church and School continue to grow and thrive. In July 2009, Father Dan Haugan began his pastoral leadership.